Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Wheels of Glory, or . . . not.

I don't know what got me on this track in the first place, but let me take you for a little ride down memory lane.


Photobucket

1)

The first car I remember growing up is a '71 Beetle. His name was Herby. Though ours was a yucky metallic brown, and chipped. I remember I filled in some of the chips with bright red nail polish. *innocent*

2)

My dad has a thing for buying old rusty pick-up trucks dirt cheap and then getting them into a semi-running state. For a while. The first one I remember was ol' Trusty Rusty. Dad had to start him with a screwdriver. But for some reason, even without seatbelts, I always feel safe and warm in one of my Dad's clunky trucks. And in every one of my novel length stories, there is one, at some point.

3)


'65 Sprite - Austen Healey. It was three different shades of cherry red. This picture doesn't really show how small it is. You can lift the rear end off the ground. Though my dad once drove it with a St. Bernard and 3 kids in it. The St. Bernard rode shotgun. We kids crammed into the back.

4)

Ah... the '78 Buick Regal. The first car I ever drove. I learned in that boat, and because of it, I can parallel park anything. It got around my last two years of high school, and was affectionately dubbed the 'pimp-mobile'.

5)

This was the first car I ever bought - a '92 Buick Le Sabre. Mine was the same gold color, minus the ugly wood paneling. I have to say, it was a nice ride. Bucket. Leather. Seats. Her name was Dyna, after her special 'Dynaride' package. But the tranny was smoking when we drove it to the lot to trade in.

6)


When I met him, hubby drove an '88 Jeep Cherokee Loredo. We never did drive it through three feet of mud. But we did flip a bitch over a median once. It looked like this, but it was technically a Je p.


~Intermission~


8)


I ... totaled this one. Nothing to see here - move along, move along.
Not. My. Fault.



10)


So, after I totaled the Corolla, my plan to win the lottery didn't pan out. I dove this POS Jetta. It had a mold issue. Oh, and you had to put it in neutral at every stoplight and rev the engine, or it would die. Fun times.


11)


This is my baby now. Yes, I have the trim package - which seems like a good idea until you realize how many damn curbs there are all over the place. And yes, it's periwinkle blue. I like it that way, and hubby is man enough to handle the remarks about his masculinity.


12)


Oh yeah, for about three weeks, I was the proud owner of a '99 Acura 3.2 TL V6. But we needed cash, so we rolled it over. *sigh* I wish I could have kept that car . . .

13)

Okay, fine. So I didn't really *own* the '07 Mustang. But for a week in San Francisco, it was mine. And that was enough to fuel my fantasy life for another couple years.


13)


Currently drooling over this one. The '08 Highlander Hybrid. It gets the same gas mileage as my Matrix, but it's sooooooo much cooler. I got to drive one of these on a business trip, and when I sell my first novel, I'm gettin' me one!

So... tell me: What's your favorite car you've ever owned?



Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!

The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!


30 comments:

Pretty Life Online said...

Wow! Great shots! Happy TT... Mine's up too hope you can drop by!

Shelley Munro said...

LOL - I'm so not a car person. As long as it works...that's me. I have a Daewoo that I zip around in. We did hire a mustang while we were in Hawaii and that was fun. :)

amazingmusings.com said...

I also name my cars. So far im on my second.

Nice TT!

Ms Menozzi said...

I learned to drive in a 1968 Buick Electra. Top THAT! LOL!

But I still can't parallel park. So, you got me there...

Oh, well.

Fun list. I enjoyed the intermission, especially. :)

I don't drive in Italy, but the hubby drives a Fiat Bravo, in case you wondered. ;)

Ciao!

Irishcoda said...

A cool idea for a TT! My first car was a 1976 Chevy Chevette...lime green. I loved the car because it was mine. And I totalled one of our cars too. :P

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

I'd rather drive one of those machines in the intermission. :-)

My fave car was my second: a 1966 Olds Cutlass 442. I was 20 and the car had waaaay too much power for a girly-girl like me, but it sure attracted the guys!

Bethanne said...

Well, my hubby also has a thing for rusty old trucks...and I sure do love seeing him in it...or under the hood...or in the bed... *cough* er, where was I? Oh right, my favorite car. I loved my standard Toyota Tercel. Great mileage! and FUN. I love wood paneling though, too and wouldn't mind a Grand Wagoneer...circa 1970's. :) Great blog!

HAHA, Gina. Good one.

Unknown said...

My fav car was a '69 Buick leSabre convertible. I LOVED that car! :) Thanks for the blast from my past. Happy T13!

Tempest Knight said...

*LOL* I still drive my first car, a 1990 Nissan Sentra.

Elizabeth said...

I think our fathers are cut from the same mold, one of the first cars I ever drove had a vice-grips for its stick-shift, and you could see the road through the holes where the floor had rusted through.

Very, very funny TT!

Tara S Nichols said...

You've owned 13 cars! Wow. I want your old truck. That beast looks like it wants CHROME!

Mia Celeste said...

I think my first car will always have a special place in my heart.

Anonymous said...

I love your intermission. :D

Jennifer McKenzie said...

You owned MUCH better cars than I have. LOL.
"Nothing to see here. Move along" LOL.
Oh and I'm SO drooling over the Highlander too. That's my (hopefully) next car.

Anonymous said...

I don't drive, so cars mean nothing to me. Sorry. But I LOVE your intermission. ;)

Kaige said...

PUNCH BUG, GREEN! *snap* doesn't count? Owell. And Gina already beat me to the joke about #7/Intermission. Man, what I get for slacking and doing the rounds so late. ;)

I've got birthday cake at my place today, stop by and have a piece.
http://impulsivehearts.wordpress.com/

R.G. ALEXANDER said...

I had a Crown Victoria with a police light still attached that I loved. Her name was Millie and she took me all over the countryside like a champ. I still miss her. lol
I dont think I've ever actually owned a new car. Thats what I dream about lol

Paige Tyler said...

Intermission! LOL!

*hugs*
Paige

My TT is at http://paigetylertheauthor.blogspot.com/

A. Catherine Noon said...

~snort~ Intermission! Love it. My favorite car is a truck. Mazda B2200 pickemup truck. Silver. Name was Silver. She was, um, silver. :) Miss her! I drive a Geo Prizm now, that my husband bent over and took it for on the price. We finally paid it off and it's all ours! Yay! Sigh. He wants a Mustang; I want a classic Corvette. And another truck.

Robin L. Rotham said...

Wow, I didn't think I'd owned that many cars until you asked me to think about it. I've only gotten to buy five that I loved and wanted -- the rest were foisted on me by my husband. My favorite (until it acted up at Mt. Rushmore last summer) was the Suburban. Now I love the TrailBlazer.

Unhinged said...

Good one, good one. I laughed in several several times, especially about the wee car where the dog rode shotgun and you three kids rode in the back. I hope SOMEone got a photo of that!

My favorite car was the '98 Ford Escape. He was silver, but I called him Gray. I LOVED that car. I cried when he was totalled (some guy hit me head-on during a snow/wind storm).

My second fave car is the first car I ever owned: my 1980 orange Mercury Bobcat. People could see me coming and going for miiiiiles.

Eaton Bennett aka Berenice Albrecht said...

Very Cute post, I totaled hubby's car when I was a new driver, very slowly, panel by panel. Intermission was delightful. :)

Laura Paxton said...

Someday will have to do a list of my cars...My fave of all time was my MIL's 1993 Ford Mustang...LOVE me a muscle car! Someday I can dump the mom-mobile and get a real muscle car!!

Happy T-13!

Dana Belfry said...

Awww.

My initial reaction was "Holy cow,
she's had 13 cars!"

I've just had two, my cute little civic my sister nicknamed "TC" because it sounded like a toy car winding up when you accelerated in reverse, and my current baby.

Thanks for the man candy break. *drools*

Chloe Devlin said...

At first I thought you'd owned a lot more cars than me. But you simply counted differently than me. The first car I ever bought/owned was a Toyota Celica.

But I remember several firsts for the family. Our first stationwagon, our first 3rd car.

I learned to drive a stick on a beautiful fire-engine red '66 Mustang Convertible. Wow, was that lots of fun. Wish my dad hadn't sold it.

Chloe

Gwen Mitchell said...

Wow - thanks for the comments everyone!

Looks like the intermission was a hit. Hmmm... might have to integrate that into every TT from now on.

I'm still stuck at the office, but I'll be making the rounds tomorrow. Happy TT!

Anonymous said...

Wow. I've only owned, or part owned, seven cars.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

My favorite car was probably my 97 Integra. Blue. Coupe.

But my current car (05 TSX) comes a darn close second.

Heather said...

Never owned a car, but my sister totalled a Toyota, too - except she tried turning a hatchback into a convertible. Thanks to the seatbelt, her only injury was a scratch on her little finger from crawling out the window. Happy TT!

Kathleen Oxley said...

Nice list! (Always appreciate the pics to go along, especially the intermission.)

Have you checked out the Toyota RAV4? It's got lots of room since the redesign a few years ago, and is cheaper than the Highlander.

Happy TT! *hugs*