Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Back Post # 1 - Ch-ch-ch-changes!

Song of the Moment: Just Dance - Lady GaGa

Today is my dad's birthday. I called him and said, "Happy Birthday - I got you a new president." He said that was the best present he's ever gotten. *g*

I could go on a boring 'yeah, yeah, yeah' rant about everything about the last eight years that has sucked. Or I could write you something inspiring about how this day is the first in a long time that gives me hope, gives me some faith in my generation, and makes me proud to be an American.

But I won't. Instead, I want shine the spotlight on our country's unflappable ability to turn any event into an excuse to sell more useless stuff in the effort to cross-promote, because - hey! - this is America! The nation that brought you Super Bowl commercials, black-Friday, and cereal box toys. For Obama's first day in office, you won't want to miss your opportunity to get a book, cup, Chia pet, or commemorative plate to mark this day in history.

And don't forget . . .

Your official inauguration day Starbux cup insulator. It comes in a stylish, eco-friendly craft brown, with vibrant red and blue print, and boasts a moving quote from FDR, "The only thing to fear is fear itself . . ." to lift up your spirits as your triple skinny americana saturates your bloodstream.

I'm going to sell it on eBay, or whatever its equivalent is, in 50 years. After all, this is America, and though there may be change on the horizon, one thing you can always count on is ample opportunity to make a quick buck off of a faithfully practicing consumer. Heh.

4 comments:

Unhinged said...

Oh, this is weird. In my Google Reader, your posts show up in the way you posted them...but on your blog, they're posted as you MEANT them to post.

Just so you know, I'm NOT going to buy that coffee hug for thousands 50 years from now. Nope. Won't do it.

Neener.

Gwen Mitchell said...

Gah! Foiled by Google! *shame*

Oh well. It will just make me seem a little whacked. I'm cool with that.

And that's okay - there are plenty of gullible schmucks out there to take your place. (Will you at least *bid* on it? Supply and demand, baby.)

Thomma Lyn said...

*snork*, "faithfully practicing consumer." Succinct, delightfully tongue-in-cheek, and oh-so spot-on!

Anonymous said...

Hehe... it is a way of life that some subscribe to more than others.